Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 9 March 2014

Smashbox Try It Kit


I bought this little kit  about 4 weeks ago after lusting after it since Christmas. I heard great things about the Photo Finish Foundation Primer but at £25, I couldn't justify spending that much money on something I was simply curious about. However, after scrolling through the Boots website, I came across the Try It Kit for £19. I know there was a kit a little bit cheaper which had three primers in it (though I can't find it on the Boots site so maybe it doesn't exist anymore?) but I also wanted to try the eye primer so I decided to go ahead and buy it.


It took many trips to the Boots in Hull before they actually had it in stock so I think that proves how popular this kit is. For £19, you get five samples or mini's (whatever you want to call them) and I think just under £4 for a sample of a high end product is amazing. I loved the packaging for this product. The makeup came in a little box, proudly lined up inside the box so you can clearly see what you have got.

I will review these products in order of me least likely to buy in full size. The first thing I have is the Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner. Although I couldn't find fault with this eyeliner, I'm just not a massive fan of cream eyeliners; I much prefer liquid and gel. I think the reason for this is that they are so messy and seem to smudge everywhere, although this is a good thing if you're a fan of the smokey eye. I just can't seem to justify spending so much money on a high end eyeliner too, when you can get ones just as good at Superdrug or Boots for less than a fiver. I currently use one from Asda's that cost me £1.50 ad it's my third one! The price for a this product full size is £14 and although it's creamy and lovely to use, I just won't buy it in it's full size.

The second least likely thing I would purchase full size is Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss. Like before, I'm not a big lip gloss fan. I find it sticky and annoying and much prefer wearing lipsticks. Although, I actually liked this one. I loved the colour and it made my lips look bigger which I loved as I have really small lips. I think I would probably either find a dupe or start with cheaper glosses than head straight the high end one though. This is full size price is £15.  


I found it hard to put the last three products in order of least likely to buy as I loved all of them. However, in third place is the Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara. I absolutely loved this mascara- in fact I think it's better than Benefit's They're Real. My lashes looked bigger, they didn't clump and they looked curvier so it ticked all the boxes. But I own so many mascaras, it would be pointless buying another, especially as you have to use mascara up so quick after opening it (although I never stick to the three month guidelines, which perhaps is naughty of me, but I haven't had any problems yet.) For now, the sample will do me fine, and in the future I may purchase the full size but at  £18, I think it's unlikely it will happen any time soon.


In second place is the reason I bought this kit in the first place - The Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. I'm still unsure whether I like this primer or not which seems weird as I put it in second place. I've used it a few times but as there's so little product in the sample size - 7.1 ml- I'm scared to really try it out properly. I love the feeling of the primer, it reminds me of Benefit's Porefessional, the velvety, non greasy texture. And I do think it makes it easier for my foundation to blend into my skin. But my days are so varied, it's hard to say whether using this primer increases the staying power of my foundation, as I've found the staying power depends on what I'm doing that day. For example, if I'm up at half 4 in the morning for uni and rushing around all day, I will be more oily earlier on in the day than if I'm shopping or simply lounging around the house. I think I may purchase this in a few months, as I do like it, but I will probably try less expensive primers first. My advice to someone who desperately wants to try this primer, but aren't so bothered by the other products in this kit, is to buy the travel size. £12.50 for 12mls. The full size is £25 for 30mls.

Last but not least is the Photo Finish Lid Primer. I couldn't believe what a difference this made to my makeup! I always had a problem with my eyeshadow creasing, whether it was with low end branded makeup like the Fearne eye collection, which I wear a lot, or high end like Urban Decay which I also wear a lot. But since I've been wearing this, I've had absolutely no problems at all. My eye shadow stays put all day. Unfortunately, I'm already running out of this product. I'm down to the last drops which I think I will save for a night out, rather than a simple trip to uni. I definitely want to buy this in full size but at the moment, I'm trying out other eye primers to see if there are ones I like better or just as much. I think it would be silly to buy the full sized product at £15 when it's the first eye primer I've ever tried. I recently bought an MUA eye primer for £2.50 which I'm still making my mind  up on, and I really want to try Benefit's Stay Don't Stray. If you have any recommendations for an eye primer that's reasonably cheap, than please let me know :)

Overall, I think this kit is worth the money. You get to experience 5 high end products before choosing to buy them full size. I think this would make a perfect gift for any beauty loving girl out there. Are you a Smashbox fan?

3 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so happy I found this post as I have been eyeing up this kit for quite a while now. I have tried the primer before in the "Try it Halo" kit that came with primer, the BB cream, and the Halo hydrating powder but I think I preferred Benefit's pore-fessional!

    www.theloveoflipstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure on Porefessional yet. I got a sample in the best of benefit kit, so I think I'm scared to really try it out as it's so small haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Hydrating Primer from Smashbox as I'm not a fan of anything silicone based and neither is my dry skin!

    Laura x | Life and Lipstick

    ReplyDelete