Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 13 April 2014

Beauty Storage: Acrylic Drawers


I've decided to start a small mini series on how I store my beauty products. Beauty storage posts are my favourite posts to read and watch on Youtube, so I thought I'd do my own and let you know how I store my makeup, nail polishes, hair products etc. After I have finished these, I may do one for jewelry and accessories.

For those of you who don't know, my boyfriend moved in with me over a year ago, and until I graduate in the summer and start earning some pennies so we can move out, we're basically living in one small bedroom. One thing I'm good at is finding different ways to store things as you can see from my last post. Everything in my bedroom (apart from my bed frame which my parents bought when I was 17) I've chosen and paid for myself, so I'm very proud of my room. I still find it amusing that as a 19 year old student, all of my friends were going out every weekend, and I'd rather spend my money on laminate flooring and floral curtains for my bedroom.

The acrylic storage is every inch the cliched beauty blogger, but I think they look so stunning and clean. I was planning on waiting until I moved out so I could have a proper vanity to put the acrylic drawers on, but I'm too impatient. After extensive searches on the internet, endless treks to B&Q and Homebase, I eventually purchased the 5 drawer and 2 2 drawer cases from Muji. I found these were the cheapest in terms of price including postage. There were also a lot of good reviews about them. I think they came to just under £50, including postage as there was a 10% discount deal on. They came within 4 days I think (I ordered on a Friday too) and they were heavily wrapped in bubble wrap so absolutely no damage came to them.

Nearly all of my makeup fits inside these drawers so it was a good investment to make. I'd definitely recommend these Muji boxes if you're looking for some acrylic storage.

5 Drawer

I will say the 5 drawer box have very small drawers in term of depth. If you're looking for somewhere to store your foundations and powders, I would not recommend this box. It was because of this, I bought a 5 drawer and then 2 2 drawers, instead of simply 2 5 drawer boxes. I use my 5 drawer to store my Rimmel Lipsticks, as I like to be able to see what shade I'm going for. I also have my mascara's, eyeliners, single eyeshadows and palettes. I've took some photos so you can see the kind of things that fit. I've doubled up on my palettes, so you can fit a few in.





2 Drawer

The 2 drawers are a lot wider and I'm able to fit all of my foundations and BB creams, and also my taller powders such as the MUA Loose Powder. My Confessions of a Concealaholic Box by Benefit fits perfectly if you wanted an idea of how tall it is. Two of these came to about the same price of one 5 drawer box, so perhaps buy these if you're simply looking for a way to store bigger makeup items.


TK Maxx Organiser

When looking through the TK Maxx in Hull, I was very surprised to find they had a selection of acylic storage as it usually either sells really fast, or they simply don't get it in. Or if they do have it, it's a holder for like 9 lipsticks and that's it. This organiser cost me about £17 and I was debating whether to get it or not, but I hadn't seen anything on the internet like it, in terms of having so many compartments and even a drawer. I was running out of lipstick space so I bit the bullet and bought it. As you can see, it over hangs the Muji box a lot, but I don't think it's too much of a problem. I put the lipsticks in here which I can see the shade straight away without looking at the bottom. I also put the bigger pots of product that won't fit in the Muji boxes. In the little drawer I keep samples I get in magazines or have been sent, as I used to keep them in my dressing table and forgot about them.





Disadvantages

Although a lot of people buy acrylic storage, and it is sturdy and gorgeous, there are a few disadvantages not really mentioned. As you can probably imagine, the boxes get dirty quite easily. This hasn't really been much of a problem as I tend to wipe my makeup after I've used it if I think it will dirty the box, however, if you're in a rush, I imagine it could be a problem. My foundation drawer has a few smears that need to be wiped. Also, I have laminate flooring, so my room gets dusty quickly, as there's no carpet to catch the dust. This leads to dust on the boxes and makeup in the organiser, and is quite a pain to dust every couple of days so I tend to wipe it whenever I use it. Of course, this could be avoided if you stored makeup in a bag or case etc. Just something to think about.

Another thing that's irritation is whenever I open and close the box, the products move. This isn't really the Muji boxes fault, just a fault with this type of makeup storage.

I hope you enjoyed this post :) There will be another three posts about my beauty storage coming up in the next few weeks. Remember to follow me on bloglovin so you don't miss out :)

What do you think of acrylic storage?

6 comments:

  1. I don't really like acrylic storage, mainly because I would much prefer a wooden set of drawers or something. These are perfect for the job, I'd just prefer them in wood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, they get dirty really quickly, but I like them because I can see what I want straight away :) x

      Delete
  2. You have some amount of makeup! I have acrylic storage drawers too and I agree, they get so dirty and dusty so easily. They are extremely hard to clean too

    Emma | The Fashion Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use a baby wipe then dry it with a tissue, but there must be an easier way to clean them :) x

      Delete
  3. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award over at www.thelifeofjks.blogspot.co.uk, and please let me know when you've done it so I can check out your answers!! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look tidy but the constant having to clean it puts me off

    Laura xx

    Libertylovesmakeup.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete