Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Balmi VS EOS // Review


These lip balms get compared a lot, and it's no surprise really. They're a very similar concept, being neither lip balms in a tin which you dunk your finger into, or lip balms in a tube which you apply directly to the lips.

Despite the similar appearance and concept, these are very different.

Balmi is available in most Boots stores and costs £4.99, which I think is a bit expensive for a lip balm. However, the novelty of the shape convinced me to buy it, as I had never had anything like it before. Balmi's are available in four flavours from Boots; raspberry, strawberry, mint and coconut. I have the raspberry flavour; it smells lovely, not too strong or overpowering like a sweet.

The Balmi comes with a little chain to attach it to a keyring, although I took mine off as I wouldn't ever use it like that. However, it's a good idea if you're forever losing your lip balms. The texture of the balm itself applies quite thin to the lips. It moves around quite easily, and although I wouldn't say it had a greasy texture, it definitely isn't thick and buttery like Carmex for example. However, this could be a good thing, as I know that I prefer 'thinner' lip balms in the day to apply under lipsticks.

Balmi has an SPF of 15, which is great as we often forget to apply SPF to our lips. The only criticism I have of this product is the packaging. When I bought it, it looked great. However, it's advertised as being able to just pop into your handbag, no fuss. After a few weeks, I noticed the thin layer of plastic that coats the Balmi begin to peel off. Then one day, I found the lid had come off and wouldn't attach itself again.

I do frequently mention that my bag is the place where makeup products come to die, as everything I shove in there usually ends up breaking. I just assumed the Balmi would be a lot more resilient. So now, it stays with the majority of makeup, and I use it everyday before I apply my lipstick.

EOS balms are a lot harder to find, being an US product. I bought mine from Harvey Nichols for £7.50 which is a crazy price to pay for a lip balm. But us bloggers are curious creatures and always want what we can't have.

There is a bigger variety of flavours for the EOS, so something for everyone. I got the honeysuckle flavour which is so nice. I don't have anything that tastes or smells like this. The texture of this balm is a lot thicker than the Balmi, and I would probably prefer this product in the Autumn/ Winter seasons as I feel like it would tackle dry lips more and offer more protection.

As far as I'm aware, EOS doesn't have SPF in it, which, considering the price, you would expect.

I can't comment on the resilience of the packaging, as after the Balmi problem, I really didn't want to risk my £7.50 EOS going the same way.

So which of these should you buy? I prefer Balmi for the day and Summer months as it isn't as thick as EOS. I would use EOS for a more conditioning, buttery balm, but the price is ridiculous. Especially as in the US, you can get them for about $3.

However, if I ever get a chance to go to America, I'm definitely stocking up, as even if I don't use them, I imagine they will be an attractive decoration to any vanity or dressing table.

As I mainly use the balm to prime the lips before lipstick, rather than treating chapped lips, I can't comment on how good they are at defeating the inevitable dryness we all get. If this is your problem, I recommend Carmex which can be found in most Poundlands. But if you're after a quirky, unique, mess free balm, definitely invest in either Balmi or EOS.

1 comment:

  1. I've just brought the EOS and I'm in love with it! I saw a Balmi afterwards and I was so tempted to get one, but I'm the same in terms of bags and stuff, so I think I'll pass! Thanks for making my mind up for me haha! xxx

    Jess/thelifeofjks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete